fetch campervan hire new zealand | senior campervan hire new zealand | family campervan hire new zealand | cheap campervan hire new zealand
early booker campervan hire new zealand
Comet Campers NZ informationComet Campers opened in Sydney, Australia, in late 1993, at a time when there were already a number of dealers selling cars to backpackers. However, these businesses were car dealerships first and foremost and did not really understand the needs of travellers. From the outset, Comet Campers focused entirely on these special needs. As ex-backpackers, all of us decided to provide the kind of service we would expect ourselves. We opened our operations in New Zealand through our partners Escape Campers & Happy Campers in 2008.
What you see today is the result. None of the car dealers that were selling to backpackers in 1993 still exist today!
All our branches are in the heart of the backpacker area and since 1993 we have opened several locations around Australia:
- Sydney in 1993 (and still at the same shop in Kings Cross)
- Cairns in 1999
- Brisbane & Melbourne in 2002
- Darwin & Perth 2005
- Auckland & Christchurch 2008
Comet Campers knows Australia & New Zealand inside out – it’s our home! We also know cars and love our job. Basically, the idea of travelling around Australia/New Zealand by bus is simply out of the question.
Comet Campers NZ Rental TermsImportant Information About Your Rentals
On arrival, you will be required to sign a rental agreement with the operators of Comet Campers. Here is a summary of their terms and conditions:
This Agreement is made on the date specified on the Rental Agreement between Comet Campers and the Hirer. You are obliged to read this document thoroughly and ask for clarification of any points you do not understand. These Terms and Conditions do not restrict any rights or provisions applicable to you as a consumer as defined by New Zealand consumer laws. Further information is available from New Zealand Consumer Affairs and other consumer organisations.
“Agreement” means the Rental Agreement and these Terms and Conditions.
“New Zealand Consumer Law” means the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 and Fair Trading Act (where applicable).
“Consumer” means a consumer within the meaning of section 2 of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993.
“Hirer” means the person or persons nominated as the hirer, additional drivers and any person whose credit card is presented for payment or who is otherwise responsible for any payment associated with the rental or the security bond.
“Comet Campers” means Comet Campers Limited.
“Vehicle” means the initial Vehicle and any replacement Vehicle hired by the Hirer and includes all equipment, accessories, tyres, tools or any additional hire items.
“We” means Comet Campers and “our” has a corresponding meaning.
“You” means the Hirer under this Agreement and “your” has a corresponding meaning.
The initial deposit paid is non-refundable. In addition to forfeiting your deposit, the following charges also apply:
If cancelled within 31 - 11 days of pick-up: $200.00
If cancelled within 10 - 4 days of pick-up: 50% of the total rental cost
If cancelled 3 days prior or on the day of pick up or non-appearance: No refund on total cost of rental
NOTE: There is no refund for late pick-up or early return of Vehicle.
The initial deposit paid is non-refundable and is collected upon booking confirmation. The balance is payable 38 days prior to pick up. For bookings made within 38 days to pick up, the full balance is payable upon confirmation. Please ensure there are sufficient funds available at this time. A bond amount is also payable in the form of credit card pre-authorisation upon arrival and is fully refundable upon the return of your vehicle in the appropriate condition, as stipulated in your rental agreement
SPECIAL PAYMENT TERMS:
Full balance of payment (including the deposit) will be collected at the time of confirmation if you have elected to process your booking in a currency different to NZD.
The balance is payable 38 days prior to pick up (unless otherwise paid for upon confirmation of booking, then 'other fees payable locally upon arrival will still need to be paid).
Comet Campers accepts Visa, MasterCard and American Express. Visa and Mastercard will incur an additional non-refundable 2.2% surcharge on any transaction. American Express will incur an additional non-refundable 5% surcharge on any transaction.
If your overseas debit or credit card has been charged in your home currency, the foreign exchange conversion rate applied is the exchange rate applied by Comet Campers merchant supplier at the time the transaction is processed. Due to exchange rate fluctuations, there could be some variance in the amounts charged or refunded compared to the amount initially charged. You irrevocably agree to release Comet Campers from any liability for such variation.
Comet Campers is entitled to retain the Hirer’s credit card details in accordance with the Payment Card Industry – Data Security Standard and take any action necessary to recover from the Hirer’s credit card all amounts due by the Hirer pursuant to this Agreement, including any amounts due in respect of damage to the Vehicle or property of a third party and all additional charges as set out in this Agreement.
Vehicle Condition, Pick-up and Drop-off
1) The Vehicle is delivered to you in good operating condition. Subject to your rights under this Agreement, you agree to return the Vehicle in the same condition (except for ordinary wear and tear, not including windscreen or tyre damage) together with all tools, tyres, accessories and equipment to the location specified in the Rental Agreement and on the date there specified (or sooner, if demanded by Comet Campers).
2) Vehicle pick ups are available anytime between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday to Friday, and between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm on Saturdays. Vehicle drop-offs must be before 3:00 pm Monday to Friday and before 12:30 pm Saturday. No pick ups or drop offs are provided on Sundays and public holidays.
3) Please note that our branches are subject to shortened low season opening hours. These hours are 9:00 am to 4:00 pm weekdays and closed Saturday and Sunday. Low season is from 1st May to 31st August.
4) There is no refund for late pick-up or early return of a Vehicle. Hirers are charged for the length of time booked, not the actual time used. We strongly recommend that all Hirers take out their own premium travel insurance in respect of the risk that a Hirer, for reasons of their own, may need to return a Vehicle earlier than expected.
5) A 59 minute grace period after the return time stated on the Rental Agreement applies to all rentals, should the Vehicle not be returned within the grace period a $250 fee applies. Vehicles overdue may also incur an additional $250 fee per day and be reported to the police as stolen.
Change of Drop off Location
1) Any change of return location can only be authorised by Comet Campers Central Reservations and depends solely on future bookings and availability. The change of drop off location is not confirmed as approved until after the change of location fee has been accepted, paid and you have received written confirmation. Please note; a casual conversation with a Comet Campers staff member does not constitute authorisation. An approved change of location may attract a fee to a maximum of $500. Please communicate all change of Drop off location requests by calling Central Reservations on the Customer Assistance Line at the earliest possible opportunity as all requests are subject to availability.
2) Any unauthorised change/s of location drop off will see the Hirer responsible for the entire cost of relocating the Vehicle to its intended location plus any hire fees that are foregone by Comet Campers by reason of the Vehicle being unavailable for subsequent hire at the agreed drop off location.
Rental Duration, Kilometers and One Way Fees
1) For all Vehicles, day one of the rental period is the day of pick up, regardless of the time, and the day the Vehicle is returned is counted as the final day also regardless of the time.
2) The minimum rental period is 5 days for all Vehicles (same city return). One way rentals have different minimum rental periods between 10 and 35 days.
3) A one-way fee may apply; this fee may vary according to location, seasonality and length of booking.
4) All Vehicles have unlimited kilometres included in the price.
5) Rates are in New Zealand Dollars and are inclusive of GST.
Consecutive rentals can be combined to qualify for a long-term discount rate provided travel is within a three month period. If drop off of a Vehicle and pick up of a new Vehicle occurs on the same day then each will be charged separately per respective rental. Multiple rentals are treated as separate rentals under the one-way fee and minimum rental period conditions.
Rental Extensions and Amendments
1) If you, the Hirer, wish to extend the rental whilst the Vehicle is for hire, you must first obtain written authorisation from Comet Campers’s Central Reservations. A casual conversation on the topic with a Comet Campers staff branch member does not constitute authorisation. Your requested extension is not authorised until it is expressly approved and confirmed in writing, and you have nominated a specific date and the extension has been paid in full. Calling a day or two before you are due to drop off and requesting an extension may result in your request being rejected owing to future bookings of your Vehicle. Please communicate all extension requests by calling Central Reservations on the Customer Assistance Line at the earliest possible opportunity as all requests are subject to availability.
2) No refunds will be given for any booking amendments to the rental dates within 31 days of collection (if the length of hire is shortened) and the rental will be charged at the number of days originally booked. A relocation fee may apply if the collection or return location is amended within 31 days of Vehicle pick-up.
3) A $25 change of booking fee applies for any changes to your booking within 31 days of the date of pick-up. No fees apply for any changes to your bookings outside of 31 days of the date of pick-up.
Change of Vehicle
1) Comet Campers reserves the right to substitute a comparable or superior Vehicle at no extra cost where unforeseen circumstances dictate. This shall not constitute a breach of contract and shall not entitle you to any refund.
2) Should you decide to downgrade your Vehicle from that originally booked you will not be entitled to any refund.
1) Comet Campers reserves the right to refuse any rental at our discretion.
2) Comet Campers may take possession of the Vehicle without prior demand and at your expense, if it is illegally parked, used in violation of the law, or if any term of this Agreement is breached or if the Vehicle is apparently abandoned.
1) A valid full driver’s licence (state, national or international) is required for each nominated Hirer and must be presented at the time of the rental.
2) If the driver’s licence is not written in English then an international driver’s licence will also be required. An accredited English translation will be accepted in lieu of an international driving licence. The translation must be provided by an NZ Transport Agency authorised translator, diplomatic representative or the authority that issued the original overseas licence.
3) A fee of $3 per day per extra driver is applicable and payable on pick up. Fees are payable up to a maximum of $75 (25 days), thereafter no fees apply. Up to 2 additional drivers are allowed. All additional drivers must be noted and must sign the Rental Agreement in person at a Comet Campers branch. All drivers, which join mid-rental, are required to pay the appropriate Extra Driver fee for the full amount of all rental days of the booking.
4) Only those individuals who are named and are signatories to the Rental Agreement are authorised to drive the Vehicle.
1) The minimum age for all drivers is 18 years.
2) The maximum age for all drivers is 75 years.
Use of the Vehicle
1) Persons who must not drive the Vehicle
1.1) A person who is not identified on the Rental Agreement
1.2) A person who is not licensed for that class of Vehicle
1.3) A person whose blood alcohol concentration exceeds the lawful percentage
1.4) A person who has given or for whom you have given a false name, age, address or driver’s licence details
1.5) A person whose driver’s licence has been cancelled or suspended within the last three years
2) Circumstances in which and/or for which the Vehicle must not be used
2.1) To carry flammable, explosive or corrosive materials
2.2) To propel or tow any Vehicle, trailer, boat or other objects unless Comet Campers has authorized such use in writing.
2.3) To carry any greater load and/or more persons than is lawful or in a manner or for a purpose other than those for which it was designed and constructed
2.4) For racing, pacemaking, reliability trials, speed trials, hill climbing or for the purpose of being tested in preparation for use for any of those purposes
2.5) In a dangerous or careless manner
2.6) For any illegal purpose
2.7) In contravention or breach of any act, regulation or bylaw issued by the New Zealand Transport Agency or any other body in New Zealand in relation to road traffic including but not restricted to contravention(s) and/or breach(es) of sections 56, 57, 57AA, 57A or 58 of the Land Transport Act 1998 (the Act), the Act generally, the Land Transport Act 1962, the Land Transport (Road User) Rule 2004 and any other legislative act;
2.8) To carry or permit the transport or carriage of any passengers for hire or reward unless the Vehicle is hired with the knowledge of Comet Campers for use in a passenger service licensed under Part 4A of the Transport Service Licensing Act;
2.9) In an arrangement wherein the Vehicle is sublet or hired (whether for reward or not) to any other person
3) The Hirer acknowledges that Comet Campers retains title to the Vehicle at all times. The Hirer shall not agree, attempt, offer or purport to sell, assign, sub-let, lend, pledge, mortgage, let on hire or otherwise part with or attempt to part with the personal possession of or otherwise deal with the Vehicle.
4) Smoking, the carriage of pets or other animals, and/or use of candles or mosquito coils are expressly prohibited. Registered Guide dogs excepted.
GPS Units & Tablets
1) A fee of $7 per day applies for the hire of a GPS unit. Fees are payable up to a maximum of 20 days, thereafter no fees apply (maximum $140).
2) A fee of $10 per day applies for the hire of a Tablet. Fees are payable up to a maximum of 15 days, thereafter no fees apply (maximum $150).
3) The Hirer will be liable up to a maximum charge of $250 should the GPS unit or tablet, mount, charger or carry case be lost, missing or damaged during the rental. The Hirer must also ensure due care is taken with the GPS unit or tablet ensuring that it is kept protected and out of sight while the Vehicle is unattended. The Hirer must also follow all usage and safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer of the GPS unit or tablet and Comet Campers.
3) Comet Campers is not responsible for any harm, damage, loss (including consequential loss) or misadventure that occurs as a result of the use of the GPS unit or tablet.
All campervans are provided with a self-contained certificate. To take advantage of the certificate a $50 fee applies on pick-up which entitles you to a porta potty (portable toilet). Please note without the porta potty the certificate will not be valid. You must ensure that the porta potty is emptied and clean prior to returning the vehicle otherwise a charge of $150 will apply.
Living & Camping Kits
All campervans will be supplied with living equipment (such as bedding, cooking equipment, cutlery, bath and tea towels), for a fee of $45.
Baby / Booster Seats
1) New Zealand child restraint law stipulates that all children under the age of 7 years old must be properly restrained in an approved child restraint.
2) For children aged 4-7 years inclusive, a booster seat can be supplied for a one-time fee of $45 which is suitable for use in all Vehicles.
3) The supply of all child restraints is subject to availability and fitting of the restraints remains the sole responsibility of the Hirer.
The Hirer acknowledges having received the Vehicle Gas Bottle full of gas (if applicable) and will return the Vehicle with a full Gas Bottle unless having purchased the Prepaid Gas option for $35. If the Gas Bottle is not full on return a $50 refill fee will be charged.
All Vehicles must be returned washed, vacuumed and tidy. Alternatively, you can elect to waive the requirement to return the vehicle washed, vacuumed and tidy for a $100 fee, payable anytime. This does not allow hirers to return the vehicle in a complete mess and a minimum fee of $200 will apply if the Vehicle is returned in an unsatisfactory condition.
The rental charges in this Agreement are inclusive of GST unless otherwise stated.
Traffic Infringements, Tolls and Freedom Camping Offences
1) A non-refundable $75 processing fee will be charged per infringement, toll notice or offence to cover processing costs in relation to any speeding, parking fine, traffic infringement, toll notice or Freedom Camping offences.
2) Comet Campers will send you (including by way of email) a copy of the relevant infringement or fine notice and any reminder notice as soon as practicable after receipt thereof by Comet Campers.
3) The Hirer agrees that we may pass your credit card and any other relevant personal details in relation to the rental of the Vehicle to a third party sub-contractor for the purposes of contacting you directly regarding processing and/or payment and/or recovery of penalties or fines due or becoming due under any infringement or fine notices received by Comet Campers in connection with your use of the Vehicle.
4) All enquiries in relation to infringements and notices should be forwarded to the contact details outlined on the relevant traffic and/or toll infringement notice. You will retain all rights to query, challenge or object to the authority that issued the infringement notice or to a court within the timeframe stipulated on that notice (details should be provided on the infringement notice or fine).
5) The Hirer remains liable for the payment of the original fine or toll.
Road Restrictions and Island Trips
1) Vehicles may only be driven on sealed roads/bitumen roads or well-maintained access roads less than 500 metres long to recognised campgrounds and parking areas. Travel on unsealed roads voids any waiver of liability under clause Security Bond / Liability Options of this Agreement and renders the Hirer liable in accordance with clause Exclusions of this Agreement for the total cost of any Damage that is caused or contributed to by reason of travelling or having travelled, on unsealed roads.
2) The Hirer releases and indemnifies Comet Campers in accordance with clause Exclusions of this Agreement from and against all actions, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs, expenses, harm or other misadventure which the Hirer may suffer or incur or for which the Hirer may become liable as a consequence of any use of the Vehicle on unsealed roads.
3) Comet Campers reserves the right at its sole discretion to restrict Vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions.
4) All Comet Campers Vehicles are not permitted on Ninety Mile Breach (Northland), Skippers Road (Queenstown), Crown Range Road (Queenstown), Ball Hut Road (Mt Cook) or the Coromandel Peninsula North of Colville Township. Vehicles are also not permitted on all ski field access roads between 1st June and 31st October. (Unauthorised travel will void any waiver of liability under clause Security Bond / Liability Options of this Agreement and renders the Hirer liable in accordance with clause Exclusions of this Agreement. The Hirer will also be responsible for all costs associated with the rental, including servicing, breakdown and recovery as well as loss of bond).
5) If Comet Campers has reason to believe that your Vehicle may have been driven on unsealed roads the Vehicle bond will be retained until a complete inspection of the Vehicle determines whether any damage has occurred. The Hirer will be liable for any damage found. If it is determined that the Vehicle has been off-road but no damage is evident you will still be charged $250 for breach of duty.
Customer Care and On-Road Assistance
1) AUTO CLUB 24 Hour Road Side Assistance service is provided. Only after Roadside Assistance has assessed the Vehicle should you call Comet Campers. Please note that call outs from Roadside Assistance due to the Hirer’s error or non-mechanical issues such as running out of petrol, flat battery resulting from leaving lights/engine on, keys locked in Vehicle will result in a charge of $165 to the Hirer payable directly to the Road Side Assistance, note this fee is not refundable to the Hirer by Comet Campers.
2) COMET CAMPERS ON-ROAD ASSISTANCE. Comet Campers provides a Customer Assistance Line contact number.
3) COMET CAMPERS CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE LINE is available If you have any questions at all during your rental. This service operates 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Saturday and 11:00 to 15:00 on Sundays and Public Holidays.
4) WEEKEND & PUBLIC HOLIDAY LIMITED SERVICE - The Comet Campers CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE TELEPHONE LINE is offered as a courtesy to Hirers who may find themselves in desperate need of our support. On weekends, most support services such as mechanical garages, etc are closed and therefore limited help is available, in any case.
5) Please restrict weekend calls to the CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE LINE to EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY.
6) If your call relates to administration, extensions, accounts enquiries, etc or minor mechanical issues please call Monday to Friday 09:00 to 17:00.
7) Comet Campers does not offer a 24/7 customer assistance line.
1) Comet Campers Vehicles are maintained and serviced to a high standard, however, this does not prevent the occasional mechanical malfunction. Minor repairs of a mechanical nature costing less than $100 may be effected without our authorisation and will be reimbursed upon completion of the rental if tax invoices are produced.
2) If you experience any problems, even minor, you must ring the Customer Assistance Line for further assistance and advice. For amounts over $100, Comet Campers must be informed and our approval must be sought and obtained before undertaking repairs. We will usually approve repairs provided the Hirer was not directly responsible for the damage, but reserve the right to approve or decline repairs on a case by case basis. Tax invoices must be submitted or the claim will not be paid.
3) In all cases, the responsibility of Comet Campers is limited to refunding the time that the Vehicle was actually in repair. This can be in the form of a rental extension or refund of hire fees. No alternative accommodation, travel costs or food items will be paid during downtime. Replacement Vehicles will not be supplied.
4) Our responsibility to provide a rental extension or refund of hire fees is conditional on any problems associated with the Vehicle, including equipment failure, being reported to Comet Campers as soon as possible and within 24hrs in order to give Comet Campers the opportunity to rectify the problem.
5) Malfunctions of stereo systems, cabin lights, air-conditioning, fridges, microwaves, sink water pumps etc., are not considered mechanical breakdowns and downtime will not be paid.
6) Comet Campers does not accept responsibility for towing and retrieval of accident damaged Vehicles.
Fuel and Fluids
1) For your convenience, the fuel tank is full on pick up and should be returned full by the Hirer. The charge for re-filling is $2 per litre plus $50. This covers the additional labour time taken to refill the Vehicle. Fuel receipts must be produced on the return of the Vehicle to show that you have refilled the Vehicle within 10KMs of return location.
2) IMPORTANT – OIL & WATER LEVELS
IMPORTANT – OIL & WATER LEVELS The Hirer is responsible for checking, at least daily, and to maintain all fluid levels and immediately to rectify and report to Comet Campers by calling the Customer Assistance Line any defect of which you become aware, however slight. Topping up a Vehicle that is losing water somehow is not rectifying the problem. Rectification means a fit and proper diagnosis and repair. Comet Campers cannot stress enough your responsibility in this regard. Continued operation of the Vehicle after a defect has occurred may lead to serious consequential damage to the engine for which you may be held responsible under clause Exclusions of this Agreement.
****If you are adding more than ½ litre of water to your car every day YOU HAVE A PROBLEM AND NEED TO CALL US IMMEDIATELY (Immediately = NOW, not 2 days time) ***********************
3) IMPORTANT – AVOIDANCE of OVERHEATING
We cannot stress enough the risks of continued driving if your car begins to overheat, or if it has a known cooling system problem of any kind. If your temperature gauge moves in a direction that is a departure from normal, stop immediately, investigate and call Comet Campers on the Customer Assistance Line. Do NOT wait for it to cool and drive again as you may cause further catastrophic damage to your engine, for which you WILL be liable. Driving with an inoperative temperature gauge voids any waiver of liability by Comet Campers and may result in the Hirer being held liable if overheating occurs.
4) IMPORTANT – WATER CROSSING & CHARGES
Do not drive across flooded roadways.
Regardless of any agreed waiver of liability by Comet Campers, the Hirer remains fully responsible for any damage caused as a result of driving or immersing the Vehicle in water.
1) The Hirer acknowledges that Comet Campers holds a contract of insurance (“Our Policy”) for accidental damage to the Vehicle or legal liability for loss and damage to property belonging to others caused by or arising out of the use of the Vehicle (“Damage”).
2) Subject to clause Exclusions of this Agreement, the Hirer is responsible for, and liable to pay:
2.1) the amount of any applicable bond that is payable by Comet Campers in respect of any Damage that is incurred while the Vehicle is in the Hirer’s possession, and for which Comet Campers has not agreed to waive the Hirer’s responsibility.
2.2) notwithstanding any waiver of liability under clause Security Bond / Liability Options of this Agreement, the entire cost of:
2.2.1) any Damage that falls within any of the exclusions in clause Exclusions of this Agreement; or
2.2.2) any Damage that is incurred while the Vehicle is in the Hirer’s possession if the Hirer breaches any term of this Agreement and the breach is the cause of, or contributes to, the Damage.
2.3) subject to clause Exclusions of this Agreement, administration costs and the cost of demurrage for any period in which the Vehicle is unavailable due to repairs.
3) A VALID VISA OR MASTERCARD CREDIT CARD IS REQUIRED FOR THE SECURITY BOND. If you do not have a valid Visa Card or Mastercard please contact us so that we can email you a credit card authorisation form which allows you to use the credit card of a family member/guarantor.
4) A security bond is required upon pick-up of the Vehicle. The amount of the security bond is determined by the applicable liability option you have chosen. Payment of the bond is only accepted by a signed credit card pre-authorisation (sufficient funds must be available). The amount of the bond will not be debited from your account at this time.
5) If there is damage to the Vehicle on its return, the bond will be used to cover the cost of such damage up to the amount of the Hirer’s liability. If the damage is a consequence of a breach of any term of this Agreement and the bond is insufficient to cover the damage, then any extra cost will be charged.
6) Reminder: It is one bond per accident/damage and not per rental, therefore once you report the accident to Comet Campers, another bond will need to be pre-authorised, otherwise you cannot continue with the rental.
7) Accidents and any other damage must be reported to the Customer Assistance Line within 24 hours of the occurrence or all liability limitations and coverages are void.
Security Bond / Liability Options
Protection Plus is payable to a maximum of 50 days for all vehicles.
Protection Plus includes one front windscreen and two tyres.
If the Protection Plus excess reduction option has been chosen a credit card imprint of the Hirer’s credit card will be taken as security in case of a breach of any terms of this Agreement or any administration fees in respect of infringement notices.
Windscreen Waiver: With the purchase of the windscreen waiver, the Hirer is not responsible to pay in the event that the windscreen needs to be replaced (first windscreen only and side & rear windows are excluded). All Vehicles = $4.50/day up to maximum $112.50. If no additional coverage, windscreen chips are charged at $90 each, any more than 3 chips will result in a windscreen replacement charge of $450).
Tyre Waiver: With the purchase of the tyre waiver, the Hirer is not responsible for paying in the event that tyres need to be replaced due to damage (up to a max of two tyres per rental). All Vehicles = $4.50/day up to maximum $112.50.
1) Subject to this clause 3), the Hirer acknowledges that they are liable to Comet Campers for the full costs arising out of, or incurred in connection with:
1.1) Damage caused where the Hirer has breached the terms of this Agreement and the breach has contributed to the Damage.
1.2) Damage caused due to use of the Vehicle in contravention of clause Use of the Vehicle, Road Restrictions and Island Trips or Fuel and Fluids of this Agreement.
1.3) Damage caused to the Vehicle by not driving in a prudent and cautious manner.
1.4) Damage caused to the Vehicle by driving on unsealed roads or beach driving.
1.5) Damage caused to the Vehicle in any way by part or total water submersion including in flood water, river water, salt water, or any other source of water.
1.6) Damage caused to the Vehicle due to a single Vehicle write off or rollover.
1.7) Damage caused to the Vehicle by the Hirer’s wilful conduct e.g. sitting or standing on the bonnet or roof of the Vehicle.
1.8) Damage caused to the Vehicle by the Hirer using the Vehicle in contravention of any legislation or regulation controlling vehicular traffic.
1.9) Damage caused to the interior of the Vehicle regardless of cause when no other vehicle is involved.
1.10) Damage caused to the Vehicle due to the use of incorrect or contaminated fuel.
1.11) Damage caused due to the use or misuse of snow chains.
1.12) Damage or loss caused to any personal belongings.
1.13) Damage to the awning, overhead (roof) or under-body of the Vehicle.
1.14) Damage caused to the Vehicle because the Hirer has failed to maintain all fluid and fuel levels or failed to immediately rectify or report to us any defect of which you become aware.
1.15) All costs to replace keys which have become lost, broken, damaged, stolen or of retrieval of keys which been locked in the Vehicle, or where the Vehicle has been stolen due to it being unlocked.
1.16) Damage caused where the Hirer is deemed by local authorities to have been careless or willful in failing to abide by the local road rules, resulting in Damage to the hired Vehicle and/or Third Party Vehicle or property.
1.17) Damage caused by the Hirer’s failure to take reasonable measures for the safety of the Vehicle, its parts or accessories, or failure to comply with all restrictions on the use of the Vehicle or otherwise abuse or misuse of it
1.18) It is agreed between Comet Campers and the Hirer that section 11 of the Insurance Law Reform Act 1977 shall apply with respect to the above exclusions as if this clause constitutes a contract of insurance.
2) Subject to this clause 3), the Hirer agrees to release and indemnify Comet Campers from and against all actions, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs, expenses, harm or other misadventure which the Hirer may suffer or incur, or for which the Hirer may become liable, as a consequence of:
2.1) any use of the Vehicle in breach of this Agreement, any reckless or negligent act, error or omission of the Hirer, or of any invitee of the driver or any passenger in the Vehicle, or any misuse of the Vehicle by the Hirer during the term of hire or while the Vehicle otherwise remains in the possession of the Hirer; or
2.2) any damage or loss caused to any personal belongings within the Vehicle.
3) The Hirer is not liable to Comet Campers for, and does not indemnify Comet Campers in respect of, any Damage or loss to the extent that such Damage or loss is caused by any breach of this Agreement by Comet Campers, or by any willful or negligent act or omission of Comet Campers, its employees or agents.
4) This clause Exclusions and clause Property Damage of this Agreement shall survive the termination of this Agreement.
Financial Obligations and Payment of Charges
You are responsible for, and by entering into this Agreement you authorise Comet Campers to debit the credit card or any other card provided for (and you will pay on demand any balance), the following charges:
1) All rental charges specified on the Rental Agreement.
2) All charges claimed from Comet Campers in respect of parking or any other traffic violations incurred during the period of hire or until such later time as the Vehicle is returned to Comet Campers.
3) All loss or damage to the Vehicle, legal expenses, assessment fees, towing and recovery, consequential third party damage, storage and loss of use, where any such charges are incurred by reason of your breach of any term of this Agreement, together with Comet Campers’s reasonable service charges.
4) Where the Rental Agreement is comprised of more than one Hirer all Hirers are jointly and severally responsible under this Agreement.
1) You will within 24 hours report any incident involving loss or damage to the Vehicle or other loss or damage involving the Vehicle while hired under this Agreement to the Comet Campers location where the Vehicle was hired and will deliver to Comet Campers immediately, every summons, complaint or paper in relation to such loss or damage. Compliance with this sub–paragraph does not excuse the Hirer from reporting all incidents to the police or other proper authorities.
2) You release and hold harmless Comet Campers (and it agents and employees) from all claims for loss or damage to your personal property, or to any other person’s property that is left in the Vehicle, or which is received, handled or stored by Comet Campers at any time before, during or after this rental period whether due to Traveller’s Autobarn’s negligence or otherwise.
3) Except as provided by law no driver or passenger in the Vehicle shall be or deemed to be the agent, servant or employee of Comet Campers in any manner for any purpose whatsoever.
4) Except to the extent that the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 may deem or require otherwise, Comet Campers gives no express or implied warranty as to any matter whatsoever including without limitation the condition of the vehicle and equipment, its merchantability or fitness for any particular purpose.
5) No right of Comet Campers under this Agreement may be waived except in writing by an officer of Comet Campers. If an officer of Comet Campers waives a right we may have this does not mean that those rights will be automatically waived on any other occasion.
6) Words used in this Agreement to denote any gender shall include all genders, singular words include the plural.
7) This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties and there are no other oral undertakings, oral representations, warranties or agreement between the parties relating to the subject matter of this Agreement that has been relied upon by the Hirer.
8) To the extent that any clause or part of any clause is in any way unenforceable, invalid or illegal, it is to be read down so as to be enforceable, valid and legal. In the event that this is not possible, the clause (or where possible, the offending part) is to be severed from this Agreement without affecting the enforceability, validity or legality of the remaining clauses (or parts of those clauses as the case may be) which will continue in full force and effect.
9) All charges and expenses payable by the Hirer under this Agreement are due on demand by Comet Campers including any collections costs and reasonable legal fees incurred by Comet Campers.
10) The Hirer must not assign or novate this Agreement or any rights or obligations under this Agreement without the written consent of Comet Campers. The Hirer authorises Comet Campers to sub-contract the provision of any of the services under this Agreement as Comet Campers may require in its absolute discretion from time to time.
A ‘relocation’ is a necessary vehicle movement between branches to satisfy the needs of full fee paying reservations. Comet Campers will offer a ‘relocation’ Vehicle at a heavily discounted rate but will do so over the strictest of short periods such as to cover the transport needs of the Vehicle movement. Should you wish to travel for longer periods or desire more freedom with your Vehicle, we highly recommend you inquire about Comet Campers’s very competitive rental rates.
1) The rental of relocation Vehicles is subject to the standard Terms & Conditions of Comet Campers.
2) Relocations must be delivered in the set days we outline and may be offered from as little as $1.00 per day.
3) A minimum $200 cancellation fee applies for any confirmed relocation bookings which are cancelled or if the Vehicle is not collected on the date agreed.
4) Any late deliveries will incur penalties of $500 per day. There is a reason for the relocation. Usually, it is being moved to fulfil a full fare paying reservation.
5) Any request to extend relocations will be considered subject to availability, and if approved will be charged at the standard daily rental rate from day one. Minimum rental periods may also apply.
Limit of Liability and Indemnity
1) Non-excludable obligations
To the extent that the Hirer acquires goods or services from Comet Campers as a Consumer, the Hirer may have certain rights and remedies (including, without limitation, consumer guarantee rights) that cannot be excluded, restricted or modified by agreement. Nothing in this clause Limit of Liability and Indemnity operates to exclude, restrict or modify the application of any implied condition or warranty, provision, the exercise of any right or remedy, or the imposition of any liability, implied or conferred under New Zealand Consumer Law or any other statute, the exclusion, restriction or modification of which would:
(i) contravene that statute; or
(ii) cause any term of this Agreement to be void (“Non-excludable Obligation”).
2) Exclusion of implied obligations
Except in relation to Non-excludable Obligations, all conditions, warranties, guarantees, rights, remedies, liabilities or other terms implied or conferred by statute, custom or the general law that impose any liability or obligation on Comet Campers are expressly excluded under this Agreement.
3) Limitation of liability
3.1) Except, in relation to Non-excludable Obligations, Comet Campers’s liability to the Hirer arising directly or indirectly under or in connection with this Agreement, whether arising under statute or in tort (for negligence or otherwise) or on any other basis in law or equity is limited as follows:
3.1.1) Comet Campers will have no liability to the Hirer for any loss, harm, damage, cost or expense (including legal fees) in the nature of special, indirect or consequential loss or damage (including, without limitation, economic loss, loss of contract, loss of profit or revenue or loss of opportunity); and
3.1.2) The aggregate of Traveller’s Autobarn’s liability to the Hirer is otherwise limited to an amount not exceeding the amount paid by the Hirer to rent the Vehicle.
3.2) In relation to Non-excludable Obligations (other than a guarantee as to title, encumbrances or quiet possession conferred by New Zealand Consumer Law), Traveller’s Autobarn’s liability to the Hirer for a failure to comply with any Non-excludable Obligation is limited to:
3.2.1) in the case of services, supplying the services again or payment of the cost of having the services supplied again; and
3.2.2) in the case of goods, replacing the goods, supplying equivalent goods or repairing the goods, or payment of the cost of replacing the goods, supplying equivalent goods or having the goods repaired.
3.3) The limitation in above clause 3.2) of Traveller’s Autobarn’s liability for failure to comply with any Non-Excludable Obligation does not apply to any supply of goods or services of a kind ordinarily acquired for personal, domestic or household use or consumption.
4) Exclusion in the event of an accident: Subject to clauses Non-excludable obligations, Exclusion of implied obligations and Limitation of liability:
4.1) In the event of an accident, where the Vehicle is no longer operational and no alternative Vehicle is available to the Hirer, our liability is limited to a refund of the hire charge or in the case of mechanical failure (unless caused by the Hirer) we may, at our election, supply a replacement vehicle for the remainder of the hire period.
4.2) In the event of an accident where the vehicle is no longer operational, it will be a matter of the discretion of Comet Campers whether to supply any alternative Vehicle.
Exclusion for hire ‘in trade’:
The Hirer acknowledges and agrees that if it has entered into this Agreement as a business, that as far as legally possible, the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 does not apply to this Agreement or any product or service provided by Comet Campers. This clause Exclusion for hire ‘in trade’ will continue to apply even if this Agreement ends.
Breach of Contract/Termination
The Hirer agrees that Comet Campers shall have the right to refuse any rental and/or terminate the hire and take immediate possession of the Vehicle without notification to the Hirer if:
1) The Hirer fails to comply with any of the material terms and conditions of this Agreement, particularly clause Use of the Vehicle;
2) The Hirer has obtained the Vehicle through fraud or misrepresentation;
3) If the Vehicle is damaged; or
4) In the reasonable opinion of Comet Campers and/or the NZ Police, the driver of the Vehicle does not have sufficient skill or experience to operate the Vehicle in a safe manner or the safety of the passengers or the Vehicle is at risk.
In such an event the Hirer will: (a) not be entitled to a refund of part of the rental charges; and (b) be responsible for the payment of any towing costs to return the Vehicle to the agreed return location. The termination of hire under this clause Breach of Contract/Termination shall be without prejudice to any rights of Comet Campers or the Hirer under this Agreement or otherwise at law.
1) The following terms have the meanings outlined in the Personal Property Securities Act 1999 (PPSR) – financing statement, interested person, register, proceeds, security agreement and security interest.
2) The Hirer acknowledges that:
2.1) by hiring the Vehicle from Comet Campers, Comet Campers has a security interest in the Vehicle (and any proceeds) and that this Agreement may constitute a security agreement;
2.2) any security interest arising under this Agreement attached to the Vehicle when the Hirer obtains possession of the Vehicle and not at any other time; and
2.3) Comet Campers may perfect its security interest by lodging a financing statement on the PPSA register.
3) Comet Campers does not need to give the Hirer any notice under the PPSA (including a notice of a verification statement) unless the notice is required by the PPSA and cannot be excluded.
4) The Hirer will do anything reasonably required by Comet Campers to enable it to register its security interest, with the priority it requires, and to maintain the registration.
Comet Campers will collect personal information about the Hirer as part of the rental process and the Hirer acknowledges that Comet Campers may not be able to perform this Agreement if all the information requested is not provided. Any information collected by Comet Campers will be handled in accordance with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1993 (the Act). The Hirer agrees that Comet Campers may collect, use and disclose the Hirer’s personal information through GPS tracking and diagnostics and other electronic tools in accordance with the Act. Under the Act, individuals have rights of access to, and correction of, their personal information.
1) If you are dissatisfied with your Comet Campers experience, you may raise a complaint with us. All complaints will be handled in accordance with our Dispute Resolution Process which you can view at here.
2) Our Dispute Resolution Process is without prejudice to any rights you may have under New Zealand Consumer Law. For more information on your rights, you can visit the following website www.consumerprotection.govt.nz/
This Agreement is governed by the laws of the New Zealand.
The Hirer warrants that all information supplied by the Hirer to Comet Campers in connection with this Agreement is true.
Rates, Terms and Conditions
The rates and terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Terms of booking on this website
The rates on this website are often heavily discounted. This is due to our negotiated rates and bulk buying power. On very rare occasions, a rate may be displayed incorrectly due to our, or a vehicle supplier's error. In such a case, if you book with us at a quoted rate that is incorrect, we will notify you of any price change and give you the option to proceed or cancel. We make every effort to keep information on our site up to date, but we cannot guarantee this website is free of errors or omissions and retain the right to update or change the information published at any time.
To the extent permitted by law we/the owners of this website will not be liable to you or to any third party (whether in contract, tort, or otherwise) for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage (including but not limited to any accident, injury, delay or loss of enjoyment) arising out of your reliance upon information contained on this website, including but not limited to your use (or inability to use) any products or services described or procured through this website.
When you pick up your vehicle, you will be required to sign a rental agreement with the supplier of the vehicle. Your rental and use of the vehicle will be governed by the terms of the rental agreement and any other documentation or information provided to you by the supplier at the time you pick up your vehicle. The rental agreement is between you and the supplier and we will not be liable to you or to any third party in relation to the terms of the supplier’s rental agreement or any other documentation provided to you by the supplier at the time of pick up.
While we will make reasonable efforts to ensure we are representing only reputable suppliers, we make no warranty about the fitness or suitability of any third party (supplier) product or service and will not accept responsibility for the quality or fitness of any vehicle. If you encounter issues with the vehicle whilst on hire, you MUST report these issues directly to the relevant supplier at the earliest possible time. This will allow the supplier to remedy any issues and minimise any inconvenience to you. If you fail to report any vehicle issues during your rental, it is likely that compensation will not be offered. We welcome feedback from our customers on their experience with our suppliers. We may, at our discretion, provide you with reasonable assistance in resolving any dispute you may have with a supplier.
Our total liability to you in relation to your use of this website and the information contained on this website will not exceed the dollar amount of the deposit we have received from you in relation to your booking/rental. Refunds will not be made for bookings cancelled due to inclement weather. Again, we strongly recommend that you take out travel insurance. Your use of this website is governed by the laws of New Zealand and the jurisdiction of the New Zealand courts.
To make a booking you must complete our booking form which is easy to follow and secured with the latest encryption technology. Once we receive your form, we will, subject to availability, confirm your booking by emailing you a confirmation voucher and invoice. The deposit required to secure your vehicle (as shown on the secure booking page) will only be processed on your credit card when your booking is confirmed. Please note that a 2% credit card or debit card surcharge will be added when your payment is processed.
A booking is confirmed when you have been emailed a confirmation voucher and at this stage the deposit is processed on your card and becomes non-refundable and any cancellation fees stated in the supplier's terms apply. Upon receipt of your confirmation, please check your details carefully and notify us immediately if there are any incorrect details, as it may not be possible to make changes at a later date.
If you are booking via phone, please make sure you have read the terms and conditions of the vehicle you wish to rent first. Our reservations consultant will ask you if you have read the terms and agree to them before proceeding. The onus is always on the renter to ensure they make themselves fully aware of the terms displayed on our website.
In booking on this website you acknowledge that we disclose your information to your selected Supplier in order to provide the requested rental services.
Please note that some suppliers treat an amendment as a new booking and apply the rate current at the time the amendment is made to recalculate the entire booking amount (not just the days changed). If the rental period is increased, an additional deposit may be required. If the rental period is shortened which results in a reduction of the rental charges, the deposit amount will remain unchanged, and the difference between the original and revised deposit is forfeited (it cannot be used towards remaining rental charges). To request a change to a confirmed booking, please use the alterations request link on your confirmation. Any alterations are subject to availability and the approval of the supplier. In addition to the alteration policy of the supplier stated in their terms, the following charges will apply:
Motorhome rental alterations (all charges stated in local currency): 25.00
The alteration fee will not be charged if your alteration request is not possible.
Vehicle Capacity and fitness to drive
Under no circumstances are you permitted to carry more passengers than the vehicle you rent is legally registered to carry, and if you do your insurance may be invalidated. The number of seatbelts (and passengers) is indicated next to each vehicle on this website. Luggage capacity where shown is an indication only and we will not be responsible should you be unable to fit your entire luggage into a vehicle. It is your responsibility to choose a journey that is within your capabilities. A vehicle supplier can refuse to rent a vehicle to any person who is in their opinion unfit to drive or does not meet eligibility requirements. In such circumstances we will have no further liability to you.
We are committed to providing a quality service and aim for complete customer satisfaction. In the event of cancellation, any refunds or penalties are detailed in the terms and conditions of your selected vehicle that you are asked to read and accept at time of booking. In the event you are unsatisfied with our service, please contact us within 48 hours of placing your booking or request and we will work to resolve any issues and determine if compensation is due. In the event you have completed your rental and are unhappy with your vehicle, we are happy to assist you in seeking compensation from the operator of the vehicle.
This website is owned and operated by Motorhome Republic Ltd. Our financial centre and marketing office is based at Level 5, 12 Madden Street, Wynyard Quarter, Auckland, New Zealand. In Australia, we are based at Suite 3.01, 11 Queens Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004. Thank you for booking with us.